We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
Kinship support services YMCA Kinship provides support services to
relative caregivers "Kinship Caregivers" who are raising a child of a family member. For most relatives, suddenly becoming a caregiver can be an overwhelming responsibility. YMCA Kinship strengthens support systems by offering county-wide services to help caregivers preserve the family unit and avoid the entry/re-entry of children into the foster care system.
Who We Serve:
- All relative caregivers including adults who are related to the child by blood, adoption, marriage or the spouse of any of these persons, even if the marriage was terminated by death or dissolution
- Non-related extended family members who are ""like kin" to the family or child they are raising
- Any Kinship Caregiver regardless if they have legal custody of the child or not and/or are involved in the Child Welfare System or not
What We Do:
- Case Management Services: short term (3 month), in-home services to help you navigate complex systems including Child Welfare, Public Benefit, school, Mental Health, etc. We also provide information and referral to resources in the area.
- Support Groups: seven county-wide support groups (English and Spanish) for Kinship Caregivers to get emotional support and education from other Kinship peers.
- Respite Care for Kinship Caregivers 55+ years of age: short term break to relive emotional, physical and financial hardships of providing continual Kinship care. YMCA Kinship pays the cost for up to 120 hours of child care, day or overnight camp, or before or after school care.
Who We Are:
- Case managers: services are provided by both paid staff and non-paid Masters of Social Work (MSW) Interns
- Support Group Staff: Support Groups are run by Facilitators and the children are supervised by Play Care Staff
- Administrative Staff: oversee the daily operations and coordinate Respite Services
Case Management & Respite Services
(619) 543-9850 If you would like additional information or are interested in kinship support services, please contact us at (619) 543-9850 or send an email to [email protected].
Copyright © 2015 YMCA of San Diego County. All rights reserved.
The YMCA of San Diego County is dedicated to improving the quality of human life and to helping all people realize their fullest potential as children of God through the development of the spirit, mind and body.
Youth & Family Services | 4080 Centre St. Ste. 103, San Diego, CA 92103 | 619.543.9850 | Corporate Site