THE Y FOR
We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
Oz Shelter Services
- Do you know a youth who is the victim of abuse?
- Do you know a runaway youth on the streets?
- Is your teen experiencing problems at school?
- Does your family need a "time-out" from your troubled teen's behavior?
Oz provides a temporary, two-week homelike residence for teenagers
experiencing personal, interpersonal, school or family difficulties. While
living at Oz, residents participate in various activities designed to help them
learn basic living skills, take responsibility for their own behavior, and
interact more effectively with other family members.
Help is Available
Appropriate Youth for Program:
- Emotional/behavioral difficulties
- Emotional, physical, sexual abuse
- School problems
- Drug/alcohol experimentation
- Runaway/potential runaway
- Beyond parental control
- Depressed/in crisis
- Difficulties with other teens
Appropriate Parents/Families for Program:
- Family conflict/crisis
- Poor communication
- Loss of control
- Breakdown of family relationships
- In need of parenting skills
YMCA Oz North Coast
YMCA Oz San Diego
3304 Idlewild Way,
San Diego, CA 92117
- 24-hour crisis counseling
- Temporary residence to teenagers in crisis
- Individual, group and family counseling including weekly multifamily groups
- Educational and recreational programs
- School dropout prevention
- Independent living program for eligible youth
- Information, referrals and advocacy with other agencies in the community, including a 24-hour crisis hotline
- Outreach and community education
- Youth Outreach Program providing services for homeless youth on the streets
- Arrangement of transportation for runaways seeking to return to destinations within the United States